Monday, May 17, 2010

Finished(s)

Mother's Day gifts!

For my mother: an Emily Shawl knit in Orkney Angora Incredible.

This yarn got up my nose a little while knitting, but it produced a beautiful (and very fluffy) fabric with more body than I expected. I love the finished product; it seems like it will be warm without being heavy.














This was my first time using blocking wires, and I'm definitely a convert. I can't believe I thought they'd be more hassle than they're worth - they made pinning so much easier than it normally is! I should have used more wires for the top edge of the shawl, but I was up way past my bedtime and wasn't thinking straight. Learning curve!


















And a quilted table runner for Ilene, using the same block as this quilt I made (and did eventually finish) last year. I switched up the layout, which produced a cool laddery effect against the floral.












It ended up about 5' long and a little over 1' wide, which hopefully fits the table it was intended for. Rather than use bias tape I had (which didn't match at all) or make some myself (difficult!) I just left extra backing fabric all around the edges of the top and batting, then rolled it on over and used it for the binding. I'm sure there's a quiltery name for this, but I don't know what it is.

The floral fabrics are from Rowan and Heather Bailey, and the stripe is probably Rowan but I'm not positive.














If I had to pick a title for this, it would be The Gardener's Ladder. Not that you asked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty! I'm very impressed with your quiltery skills. I dunno what the name of the folding-over-the-back-and-binding technique is. When I do it, it's called "bullshitting."

weaverknits said...

Oh, oh, angora. I've recently collected all the Malabrigo Angora that is to be had in Boston (and even called that yarn store Nina in Chicago and ordered all the blue they had, too). WHERE did you get the angora laceweight? WHERE???

By the way, I LOVE all the stripiness. The shawl. The hats. All of it.

Chris said...

how did I miss this post??! I love that table runner! and you even did your corners all miter-y! it's fantastic! i've kind of been bingeing on kaffe fassette quilting fabric lately - i'm gonna have to look for some Rowan though!

hannah said...

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to call it self-bound. The angora is from a swap on Ravelry (traded some Malabrigo Lace for it), and the Rowan fabric is in fact Kaffe Fassett.